Queenstown continued


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
August 15th 2011
Published: August 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

If you are doing the Dart River Safari you will start the day by hopping on their bus early in the morning. I wasn't really sure what to expect other than a fast boat ride on a river but it was so much more than that! After about a 45 minute scenic drive along Lake Wakatipu we arrived at the tiny town of Glenorchy. At the Dart River office we were fitted out with life jackets and waterproof jackets. We then made our way over some rather bumpy "roads" to the Dart River where our boats and drivers were waiting. Before our adventure on the river we had time to do a walk through the forest with our guide where we learned many interesting fact about the local flora and fauna. Apparently some of the mammals that have been introduced to New Zealand have become a very serious problem here. The possum which was brought here for the fur trade is no longer hunted for that purpose and is now harming the forest by eating too many of the leaves on the trees. In fact they only eat part of the leaf and then move on to the next one. There is also a small mammal called the stoat (similar to a ferret)which was brought here to help control the rabbit population but they found that the native birds were much easier to catch and that has seriously decimated the population. So now there are programs underway to eradicate the stoat.
The scenery for the river safari was amazing and we enjoyed the spins and capable manouvers of our driver. The boat was even equipped with heated handrails so our hands stayed toasty warm.
Back in Queenstown we had lunch at the world famous Fergburgers. What is a vegetarian doing at a burger joint you might ask? Not to worry! In addition to the extensive burger menu there is the "Bun Laden" made with falafel patties and the "Holier Than Thou" which is made with tofu. Whatever you choose you will enjoy tackeling one of these mouth watering extravaganzas.
While wandering around the charming waterfront we came across Eichardt's Private Hotel and stopped in for a quick peek around. Management was very gracious and offered to show us some of their rooms. This is a very unique and cozy property. They are members of the small luxury hotels of the world. I would definitely recommend this hotel. You would not be disappointed.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0538s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb