Doubtful Sound


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
August 17th 2011
Published: August 17th 2011
Edit Blog Post

It was an early start to the day with a coach ride to Lake Manapouri with Real Journeys. The scenery was incredible and our driver/guide was entertaining and informative. We were also able to stop for several photo opportunities. We were fortunate to have the best weather possible with blue skies and brilliant sunshine. My favourite moment was when we were on the sound and they shut off the engines so that we could enjoy complete silence. Just the sound of birds and the dripping of waterfalls. We were able to spot fur seals basking in the sun and also some Blue Penguins which are the smallest of the penguin species. After our cruise we stopped at the Manapouri Power Station. I really did not expect to find it so interesting. But once you see it and hear the history of the building process you can't help but be impressed. The plant is 176 metres below lake level and the powerhouse has been excavated from solid granite. In order to get to it you must travel down a 2 kilometre spiral access tunnel to the machine hall. It is the largest underground power station in the Southern Hemisphere!
After our Doubtful Sound Cruise we arrived at the Remarkables Lodge which is about 15 minutes away from the Queenstown Airport. This is a property that is a total experience all on it's own! From the luxurious decor to the world class meals it is a must for the discerning traveller. The owners, Brian and Colleen sailed around the world before aquiring the lodge and they have created something truly special here. You feel as though you have been invited into their home to enjoy stimulating conversation by the fireplace along with being pampered from the moment of arrival.

Our next stop was Wanaka! Only a couple of hours by bus from Queenstown. Our adventure for the day was with Lake Wanaka Eco Tours doing a lake cruise and island nature walk. We cruised Lake Wanaka to the Mau Waho Island Nature Reserve where I promptly became separated from the rest of the group. I was just so excited to get going on the trail that I just assumed that everyone was right behind me. No worries though as there is only the one trail leading up to the bluff. We did all reconnect at the top much to the relief of my guide. The really cool thing about this place is the hidden lake on top of the island. And also the very friendy Buff Weka which is a very curious flightless bird. Before leaving the island we planted a native tree to give back to the environment.
Wanaka is a lovely little village and we stayed at the Edgewater which is located on the shores of Lake Wanaka. It is only a 15 minute stoll along a lakeside path into the centre of town where we had lunch and stocked up on some New Zealand goodies at the local grocery store. Yummy chocolate bars and twisties. And did I mention chocolate milkshakes and chai lattes?

Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0326s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb