Queenstown 29/1-2/2


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
January 31st 2009
Published: February 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

bungybungybungy

our bus driver
On the way to Queenstown we stopped off at a fresh fruit stop where everyone filled up on lots of free samples and then we watched people do a bungy jump at the first ever comercial bungy site. This wasn't as exciting as we thought it would be.

When we got into Queenstown we went up the Gondola to get some good views of the area and then we went for a highly recommended fergburger. We got the big al burger, which was absolutely huge and then went out.

The plan was to go to the ice bar and then meet the kiwi bus as they had organised a get together. However we were having such a good time we decided to stick to our own night out. The ice bar was amazing, everything was made out of ice. When you had finished your cocktail you got to smash your glass (made out of ice) into a bin. It was really cold but you got a coat and gloves before you go in, and boots depending on your footwear.

The next day we just had a general explore of the shops and went ice skating, which was really good as it was nearly empty but was quite embarressing as at one point there was a girl who was really good at figure skating.

The next day was Milford sound which was a really early start. It was a long journey up there so the bus made quite a few stops at, Te Anau, a glaciel valley, mirror lake, and the chasm. When we arrived we went on a boat cruise around the sounds which are beautiful. The cruise included an all you can eat buffet (great when you are a backpacker). Towards the end of the cruise we stopped at an underwater observatory, which was quite cool but because it is an observatory and not an aquarium you don't actually see that much.

Our last day we went canyoning. We started out going across a really fun zip line and then abseiling down the other side into the water. In the water we got to try out some really fun rock slides and a 2 metre and a 6 metre jump offsome rocks into the water. Dave and 2 others out of our group also did an 8 metre jump. Another fun thing wwas using a zip line to get over some water where you had to unclip yourself and lower yourself down into the water. It was all good fun although quite scary when you have a bit of a phobia of water, like me. When we got back we had the best pub platter ever with cheese fondue, bread, kebabs, homemade tortillas and loads more.



Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

fergburgerfergburger
fergburger

the big al
queenstownqueenstown
queenstown

the lake


1st February 2009

Everything you're doing seems so cool, I'm surprised you're even planning on comming back!

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb