Sianara South Island!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Picton
April 11th 2008
Published: April 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

nins bin lobster shack..nins bin lobster shack..nins bin lobster shack..

..look at the dark clouds.
How you goin?!

The day after our glacier hike, we were driving to Kaikoura to meet Pea and Rob for the weekend, which meant we were able to drop Simon at Hanmer Springs. It was due to take about 8 hours so we were on the road at 8am. We had free camped the night before and it had been quite cold as we didnt have power, so we were pleased to be on the road.

The scenery on the way was pretty cool with mountain backdrops, rolling fields full of cows and sheep, with lots of freshwater rivers. After about 5 1/2 hours we arrived at Hanmer and sais bye to Simon. We had spent almost a week with him, so it felt abit strange, without him there. He was a really nice genuine guy, who Rob and i nicknamed, a 'Walking jesus' because for his age, he was so wise and knowledgable, who had quite an old soul! A real pleasure to have helped out!

We met Rob and Pea in Kaikoura and went to look at the local seal colony which was cool and we were going to go whale watching but it turned out to be quite expensive, so we passed! We had a look around the town as well and also went and had Cray fish from a road stall which was real tasty! Unfortunately i had come down with a cold so wasnt feelin overly great. It was really nice to see them again but it felt so final! We wouldnt see them for over a year now as they are coming to England next year!

The following day we had a 3 hour drive to Nelson, which ended up taking 6! My cold had turned into a tummy bug and all the way up Rob had to keep pulling over every 15 mins for me to be sick! How lovely! I wasnt feeling up to doing anything that night so we watched a film in the camp TV lounge.

We got a chance to get a look around the town the next day, which had a few shops in but there wasnt a lot there really. So that afternoon we carried on up to Abel tasmin national park. We had decided to free camp there, but when we got there after about 20km on gravel tracks they wanted $12
Yum...Yum...Yum...

..it was so fresh,caught that morning!
each so we decided to go to the top10 which was about 20 mins away. In which we would get power, showers and other amenities, whereas we would get nothing at the national park, so we had a look around and got to the campsite! We were still in Abel tasmin national park and we had seen what we wanted to so we didnt feel like we had missed out!

As expected Rob had picked up my cold and was feeling pretty rough with it, so we had both turned into sad cases!! We carried on from the national park (Which was nice but not as spectactular as we had imagined, or we had just been spoilt already) to Picton, which is where we had to be, to catch the ferry the followingn day to the north island. On our last day in Picton we went on a bit of a hike and had a look round the town which was nice but not a lot there really!

Until next time party on dudes

Rob and Han x x x x




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

seal colony..seal colony..
seal colony..

..just at the side of the road.
Seals laying everywhere..Seals laying everywhere..
Seals laying everywhere..

..they looked quite chubby,you could see why!
sat with dave..sat with dave..
sat with dave..

..he's a star!
Payless apparently still survives..Payless apparently still survives..
Payless apparently still survives..

..Mum we couldn't resist!
the view of Picton and beyond..the view of Picton and beyond..
the view of Picton and beyond..

..we walked for bloody ages to get up here,literally up a mountain!
Picton harbour..Picton harbour..
Picton harbour..

..this is where we were getting the ferry from.
Haggis..we thought of you..Haggis..we thought of you..
Haggis..we thought of you..

..when did you start learning to fly!?


Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0738s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb