Picton fishing


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Picton
April 11th 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today we ventured back to Picton to enquire about a spot of fishing. We arrived at 10.30 and there was one company left who was about to leave. He very kindly agreed to wait for us to get our stuff together. We needed warm clothes and waterproofs as it was a very windy day.

We got on the bumpy boat and had an hour journey before getting to our fishing spot. Bex was a little nervous about this ride, being fairly prone to seasickness. However, any discomfort was soon forgotten when we saw a pair of dolphins swimming alongside our boat. They were a mother and baby that are apparently regular visitors to the boat - the fishermans wife reckoned they liked the sound the boat made! They were abosultey gorgeous animals, we both could have watched them jumping over the waves for hours! - see the video!

When the boat was anchored we began our fishing. The very nice man turned out not to be so churpy! He was extremely grumpy and he and his wife reminded us of Mr and Mrs Twit with the way they kept sniping at each other. It didnt ruin anything for us though because it was so funny!

The fishing was slow for the first hour due to something to do with the tide? We caught a few tidlers that didn't reach the length to be kept and slung them back in the water. We then enjoyed a tastey BBQ lunch before returning to the fishing. We had loads of fun in the afternoon using octupus as bait to pull out cod. Bex caght a few more than Dom, probably due to her brother's influence. However, Dom did get very excited when a huge baracuder hacked a chunk out of his cod. He saw it happening as he was winding in his line and thought he'd caught the biggest prize! Poor Dom ha ha!!

We got to take home a bag of cod, which had luckily already been gutted and skinned for us! We enjoyed grilled cod with butter and lemon for tea - Delicious!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Birds circling the boat, waiting for scrapsBirds circling the boat, waiting for scraps
Birds circling the boat, waiting for scraps

It looked like a scene from Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds


28th April 2007

Wow u 2, all your pics look amazing and sounds like u are having a wonderful time!! Carry on enjoying it, lots of love xxxxxx

Tot: 0.177s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 20; qc: 96; dbt: 0.1145s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb