Waikanae


Advertisement
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

On the 9th, after a mega fry up, we played golf at the stunning course in Waikanae. Neither of us were any good and were thrashed by Bill and Shelia - but it was really good fun anyway!

Back home, we watched the sun set and got a brilliant view of the South Island and the nearby Kapiti Island (which looked like a crocodile!).

It was great to have a few home comforts after 8 weeks of roughing it! We were treated like royalty! Thank you very much Bill and Shelia!



The following day we woke early and headed south to Wellington, about 50km away. From there we caught the ferry to Picton, in the South Island. Although the distance between the two islands doesn't look far, the journey took about 3 hours as we had to weave around cooks strait. The scenery was beautiful and we couldn't believe how blue the water was - very different from Dover - Calais! We spotted some dolphins on the way, swimming in a group by our boat, it seemed as if they were chasing us!

Once we'd arrived in Picton, we headed towards Blenhiem, a nearby town to do some shopping!

That night we camped at Robin Hood's bay. A 50min drive to a free campsite along tough gravel roads, but was well worth the effort. There was an abandoned beach which looked fantastic as the sun set and there was no one there but us.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.345s; Tpl: 0.033s; cc: 22; qc: 97; dbt: 0.1881s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb