I saw Penguins!!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Otago » Oamaru
April 8th 2006
Published: April 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

It might have cost me my health but i spent the night in this tiny town called Oamaru on the beach waiting for Baby Blue Penguins to come ashore. They where just about the most adorable things I have ever seen. We were not suppose to take their pictures because they have very sensitive eyes, and the flash blinds them for quite some time. We had this one, Jason named him Sam, fallow us around the parking lot area yelling at us. I guess we got a little to close to his home. They like to hide underground in burrows during breeding season, and when winter comes they stay out at sea and travel around feeding.
This entire town is in love with Penguins, they used to be called a nuisance because they roosted in peoples yards, but now because they bring in so much tourism the town has learned to embrace them. We went to a cafe called the Wool Store and they had a resident couple that lives underneath the floorboards. If you ask nice enough they will open the door and show you them.
After getting really cold waiting for them we all headed back to the car to find a place to camp...that was until our car started smoking! I can not tell you how many problems we have had with this thing, we ended up sleeping in a park (don’t know if it was 'legal' but it worked). the car made it home and is currently at the doctors.
While we were in Oamaru we traveled about 10 min south to a beach that is known for its Moeraki Rocks, they are these random round boulders that just pop out of the ground. People say they look like Alien Eggs...or dinosaur poop hehe. They where pretty cool I guess for being rocks.
Till Next Time
Cheers




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

The groupThe group
The group

Jason, Jo, Kate and me
Penguin!Penguin!
Penguin!

I blame Jo for this one!


11th April 2006

So, you are sitting on dinosaur poop? Cool!
12th April 2006

Tee Hee
Its not really dinosaur poop..but it kinda looks like it
12th April 2006

Loving it
Hey girl, What an experience! Your Mom has been sharing your travels w/ me and I'm loving it! I knopw you must have adored those penguins! Have fun!
30th April 2006

haa
that pic, jason being born CRACKS ME UPPP!!!!

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0613s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb