Oamaru


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Oamaru
March 19th 2009
Published: March 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Yellow-eyed penguinYellow-eyed penguinYellow-eyed penguin

You can just see the penguin down below us on the beach
Oamaru 20th - 22nd February

It rained all the way to Oamaru and didn't stop raining until (and beyond) we left. On the way to Oamaru we did a detour to the Clay Cliffs, in the pouring rain. They were unusual and, in the sunshine, I am sure, very lovely. We were wet and cold though, so did a quick walk and then back to the van. We also stopped at the Elephant Rocks (in the rain, of course). These are strange rocks littered around a field, which supposedly look like sleeping giant animals. I'm not so sure on that, but they were interesting to look at. They have been used in the film ' The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe'.

We didn't see a whole lot of Oamaru because of the torrential rain, but we did go to see the yellow-eyed penguins just before dusk on our second day. We saw about seven in total. One waddled up the beach, which we could clearly see from our clifftop lookout. On our way back up the pathway, we saw another penguin just a meter from us, crouched down and seemingly snoozing - it was so sweet!

We
Yellow-eyed penguinYellow-eyed penguinYellow-eyed penguin

Not the greatest photo, but it was getting dark and I didn't want to frighten the bird by using the flash on the camera
left Oamaru, of course in pouring rain - it felt like being back in the UK!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0753s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb