Edit Blog Post
Published: December 10th 2014
Woke multiple times to the delightful sound of the rain pounding on the roof. It continued to do so most of the day - a proper downpour and perfectly timed to coincide with a rest day.
Popped up the coast to Motueka and had a long chat about plans at the DOC office. All looking good for Wangapeka track and Leslie-Karamea track - I just have to decide which order to do them in. Supplies collected and back to the cottage to prepare the pack for the next few days. A heavy food bag tells me I'm taking too much but I don't mind carrying it both into and out of the trek if not used (better to have and not need than to need and not have).
Jotted down 3-night trek plans for both Wangapeka and Leslie-Karamea but still couldn't decide which to do first so I tossed a coin. Wangapeka won so I'll be driving an hour to Matariki road-end tomorrow (Thursday) morning, hiking six hours in to Stone hut, up to the saddle and Biggs Tops the next day (and maybe further), back to Stone hut again next night (Friday), then attempting to find the route
up Mt Luna and down to Kiwi Saddle hut the next day (Saturday). By Sunday morning, a big storm is forecast to be brewing in the Tasman Sea so, if all goes well, I'll be back down just before it hits landfall. I plan to hide in Collingwood for a couple of nights while the storm passes over, allowing enough time for another coin-toss.
Today's rain has now passed through, handing over to a delightfully cool evening so tomorrow's plan is looking solid.
Tot: 0.283s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 17; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0176s; 1; m:saturn w:www (22.214.171.124); sld: 1;
; mem: 1.4mb