Mt Cook


Advertisement
Published: November 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Sunday we were off on adventures heading up to Mt Cook - where no Stray bus has gone before! This involved some navigational aid from myself & Pete in the front! We visited Omaru on the way - the Steampunk Capital of New Zealand - aka Penginville! Here most of us didn't pay to go in & see the Blue Penguins in their nests, & apparently it wasn't a great view anyway. We all took some photos of the steampunk statues in the town & discovered the location of the whisky distillery! We also saw some round rocks on a beach!

The drive up to Mt Cook was fairly interesting - we passed a couple of hydroelectric dams - the water in them a brilliant shade of aqua due to the suspended particles gathered up by the glaciers that fed them. Also got some good views of Lake Pukaki, another beautiful aqua coloured lake. The hostel at Mt cook was very new & didn't show up on our maps or even google earth! But the Mt Cook village is so small finding it wasn't a proplem! It is a lovely place - 4 bed en suite rooms a decent kitchen with walk-in fridge(!!!) but only 1 mug...

Some of us had wanted to go on a cruise around the icebergs but apparently it was too windy so Daisy took the bus up to Lake Tasman & we walkied up to see the glacier (from a distance) then down to the lake which Daisy thought he should jump into, being the first Stray driver there however upon dipping our toes he quickly changed his mind! Unsurprisingly it was ice cold! I failed to get to the bar in time to claim my free drink - mostly because I hadn't been told there was a time limit on it! I also failed to get up to watch Dawn over the mountains - I did pull back the curtains & it was rather cloudly first thing though so I didn't miss to much.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Lake PukakiLake Pukaki
Lake Pukaki

I think....


Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb