Mt Cook and the Hooker Glacier


Advertisement
Published: March 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Journey to Mt Cook


Date visited: 17 February

We couldn't have timed it better. At ast after the recent 'low' front which bought low cloud and freezing temperatures (about 16 oC in the day) we hit warmer and sunnier weather with the drive back north again. A high pressure was bang over the country meaning the mighty Cook could be seen in all its glory. We finally drove past those picture postcard scenes of the emerald green lake / snow capped peaks / beach forest combo which teased us about New Zealand when in the UK. My camera was very busy today!

The walk to Mt Cook glacier followed a lively river up through the valley to the terminal face of the glacier where we had constant uninterrupted views of the beast (the highest mountain in Australasia at ***** ft). The walk was awe-inspiring and silenced onlookers on their approach.

Our accommodation was pretty rustic on a farm about 30 mins drive away. Unfortunately some very inconsiderate Israeli backpackers (the worst type we have discovered) ruined the peace with their midnight cooking and banging around the place. We were very miffed to say the least.

Time to move on - we did what we came here to do.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0646s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb