Glenorchy and the Routeburn Track


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Glenorchy
February 20th 2008
Published: March 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Date visited: 18th-20th February

Due to the good weather holding up we decided to see Glenorchy for more great walks - a side trip from Queenstown (middle South Island again). Yep its been a bit of a zig-zag - up down affair of late - We have not been finding the work (farmwise, fruitpicking or hostel - related) just when or where we need it so you keep touring and keep on driving!

Glenorchy is a classic mountain lakeside township. Its most idyllic and a pleasant peaceful contrast to bustling Queenstown.

Our campsite (of which we experienced 'the cabin' accommodation) was one of the most scenic and least busy we had stayed in. We decided to opt for the cabin after our shivering nights in Arrowtown where even our 5 layers of clothes and supposedly good quality sleeping bags were failing us miserably.

Glenorchy is known for its walks (everywhere in New Zealand is walk-heaven) but particularly here as you are on the doorstep to Mt Aspiring National park where higher altitude walks amongst stunning scenery pervail. We discovered first hand one of these 'wow' factor walks called 'The Routeburn track'.

The walk crosses a huge variety of landscapes incorporating rainforest, waterfalls, gorges, and endless mountain views. We walked over 20 kilometres in a 6 1/2 hr stretch. The first lengthy section took us up a gentle path meandering through thick beach forest and sub-alpine jungle. We crossed several swingbridges crossing positively greeny blue sparkling streams and rivers - it looked most inviting. We reached the second hut out of 4 on this 5 day walk. We wanted to reach the saddle section (highest point) but the last 15 minutes taking us through and out of the bushline sapped our energy (climbing 300 metres in a mere 3 k). The walk to the saddle would have extended the walk to 9 hours so we decided to call it a day , content with the stunning mountain scenery.

This walk is probably our favourite out of all the ones we have done so far...


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Routeburn waterfallRouteburn waterfall
Routeburn waterfall

Waterfall near the Routeburn track


Tot: 0.186s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 13; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb