Day 65, Mount Cook (Aoraki)


Advertisement
Published: March 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Was an early start for us this morning, 5.30am. We packed up and left to catch our 7.15 bus to mount cook.

Mount cook (Aoraki) is the highest mountain in the whole of Australasia. It is south of Christchurch and more inland. Our bus journey was comfortable and civilised - unlike steve and jens kiwi experience which sounds like one big orgey! However, our bus driver did like the sound of his own voice and did a full commentary the whole journey on the history of NZ - ok up to a point but it was 7.30 in the morning for christs sake!

We stopped along the way several times as the scenery in New Zealand is absolutly breath taking. The first stop was at Lake Tekapoo which was amazing. A huge lake with mountains in the background reflecting on to the lake. Beautiful.

We reached Mount Cook at about 12.30. There a few hotels and lodges there and 1 backpackers YHA which is where we are staying tonight. That is basically all there is, a few places to stay set in a small village a short distance from Mount Cook and the various other mountain ranges. It is very beautiful, all the mountains are topped with snow and the lakes around them are huge.

We'd read in the lonely planet there were loads of good walks to do so we chose the Hooker Valley walk. We started out from the hostel about 2pm and started the trek. It took us through the mountain peaks to Mt Cook, over a couple of swingbridges and eventually to the glacier of the hooker valley and hooker lake. Took 2 hours to get there so that meant 2 hours back again when we were hungry, couldn't stop talking about the food we liked and i had the start of a huge blister! Who's idea was this walk .... i blame Helen!

Seriously though, it was amazing and well worth it for the views and pictures we took. Plus it meant that we had burnt off enough calories to justify loads of carbs and chocolate tonight!





Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Mount Cook YHAMount Cook YHA
Mount Cook YHA

Very cute place to stay
Hooker Valley WalkHooker Valley Walk
Hooker Valley Walk

Swingbridge number 1!!
I know, i know - we are wearing the same colour top!I know, i know - we are wearing the same colour top!
I know, i know - we are wearing the same colour top!

We obviously didn't communicate well this morning, but it was 5.30am! Or, maybe it just great minds think alike!
Mount CookMount Cook
Mount Cook

At the end of our walk, Hooker Lake and the Glacier at the base of Mt Cook.
Mount CookMount Cook
Mount Cook

At the end of our walk, Hooker Lake and the Glacier at the base of Mt Cook.


26th March 2007

hi babes!!! so glad you did that walk, its my dads fav in the whole on NZ!! me and chris did it in foot of snow!! sounds like youre still having fun, enjoy the scenery, the ride to Queenstown and wanaka is breathtaking! Nothing happening here, all boring!! loads of love s x x
28th March 2007

Hookers lake?
Suitable for you. So, you have a new lesbian friend?

Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0251s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb