Aoraki/Mt cook


Advertisement
Published: March 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Mount cookMount cookMount cook

1 hour into the 4 hour trek and the mountain still seems to be so far away!
We left Christchurch early on Monday morning to make our way to Mount Cook (Aoraki is its Maori name). We bought bus tickets which can be used anywhere around both Islands so its really easy to get around. The journey was good, really nice scenery...and nothing like the kiwi experience! Just a normal coach through the mountains with some stops for photo opportunities.

We booked into a really cute hostel which feels just like a ski log cabin, it even has a sauna! And I thought this travelling life was going to be hard!! I think I got bitten so many times on day one by the travel bug, i'm loving every minute of it and I haven't used my ghds once!

We got to mount cook about lunch time, there are so many different walks you can do which give great views of the mountain and the hooker lake. We opted for a 12mile walk called Hooker valley which a couple of people had recomended. It takes you along a stoney path which at some points makes you think you can't go on as its so rocky. It also leads you over 2 swing bridges - Lisa jumped on them and made them wobble even more, I didn't like that as they go over stocking stream where the rushing water is full of rocks and debris, I just tried not to look down! There are various viewing points along the way which is great as you can see the mountain getting closer at each one. Its also a bit of reasurance that you are almost there! The entire walk took us about 4 hours and my feet were killing me. The view of Mt cook, the hooker lake and the terminus of the hooker glacier at the end was definately worth it though. Because of the glacier the lake has huge chunks of ice in it which was really weird to see.

We're leaving for Queenstown tomorrow afternoon and we thought about doing a shorter walk in the morning but after today I don't think that will be happening. The sauna and coffee shop are calling my name so think i'll be in there!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Lake TekapoLake Tekapo
Lake Tekapo

Imagine waking up and looking out the window at this everyday?!
Lake PukakiLake Pukaki
Lake Pukaki

The beautiful turquoise waters of lake Pukaki with snow capped Mt Cook in the background.
Lisa and I having a little breather!Lisa and I having a little breather!
Lisa and I having a little breather!

Same t-Shirts I hear you say?! At 5.30am in the dark you don't care what you put on!
The end result!The end result!
The end result!

The 2 hour walk there and back was definately worth it. The view of Mt Cook, the Hooker Glacier terminus and The Hooker Lake was amazing!


28th March 2007

Hi Helen, We are so proud of you!... NZ looks lovely and for you to say that you have caught the travel bug does that mean we can look forward to renting your room out? Hee Hee Hope you both book some fantastic adventures but just remember with sky diving you will always land somewhere try to aim for a sheep as they might be a little softer. Love you lots. Mum and Dad xxx

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0387s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb