Day 171 New Zealand, Te Anua to Milford Sound.


Advertisement
Published: May 17th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Hello Everyone,



Today we woke about 8am and drove the last 2 hours along the straight road into Milford Sounds. Along the way there are loads of photo opportunities such as Mirror Lake and various waterfalls, so it makes the journey longer but the journey in is a great experience. In the last 30 minutes, we had to drive through the mountain for 1.7km, and then you come out the other side to snow topped mountains and waterfalls.



Milford Sounds is tiny!! There is literally one café/information centre and the ferry terminal. We didn’t realize you had to fill up on diesel back 250km away in Te Anua, luckily there was emergency gas that was a little more expensive but still only 75p a litre so we were quite happy. We went into the café to read up on the boat trips that were available today.



We booked onto the 12.45pm Milford Sound cruise ‘with more’ including all the main sites of Milford sounds and a ‘gourmet lunch’ for $79 each for a 2.5 hour cruise. The weather was good for the first part and then it was torrential rain with fog that we couldn’t even see across to the other side of the Fjord. But apparently they get 7-9 meters of rain every year, so you have to be very very lucky to get a picture postcard photo.



Neil and a few other lads got drenched under this waterfall that the boat went too close too lol, the captain said be prepared to get wet so all of us sensible people came back inside.



After the trip we headed straight for the road with the intension of going back to that picnic site we were at last night. All though we missed it and kept driving saying there must be an another picnic site soon. There wasn’t for another 50 odd km. I was knackered when we finally found a place. We knocked on two peopled doors first to check if we could park there but I was still not convinced we wouldn’t get a ticket. So needless to say we both didn’t sleep that well L



Good night



V&N X


Additional photos below
Photos: 120, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.304s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 68; dbt: 0.1042s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb