Day 97: Milford Sound (actually Milford Fiord)‏


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Milford Sound
March 16th 2013
Published: March 19th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Today was a long one, we hopped on the Jucy tour bus at 8.15am and returned at 9.15pm. However the trip to see Milford Sound was totally worth it! We had a great bus driver called Oz who knew every spot on the route and made the 5 hour drive much more interesting. We stopped on the way for some photo opportunities at lakes, waterfalls and mountain ranges. Our coach even had to fit through a tiny 1km tunnel through the mountain! Our cruise on Milford Sound was really nice, the mountains are huge and they make everything else look tiny! This was the case when the Queen Mary II (the largest ship ever to enter Milford) went past us and it looked tiny on our pictures next to the massive mountains!Bailey's bit: A few facts about Milford, it has been formed by 5 different glaciers which can be seen by the 'steps' cavrved into mountain edges. The sound has an average depth of 300m with the deepest point well over 400m, taller than if you were to stand the QM2 up. Captain James Cook manage to sail past it twice, not being able to make out the entrance due to the overlap of the two entrance mountains. It was first navigated in 1823 when a ship looking for shelter sailed into it and discovered the vast expanse, it was originally named Milford Haven after the captains home port. Daily mileage: 4 ran the opposite way down the path but had to turn back when the street lights ran out. Only opportunity for a run today with the long trip!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0555s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb