Day 12 - Bobbing Along on the Beautiful Briney Sea


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Milford Sound
December 22nd 2012
Published: December 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Approaching NewZealand the ship made a very quick stop at Milford Sound at 8 am to drop off some passengers who had paid for an overnight excursion overland along the fiord. We slept through this. However, the scenery we sailed past whilst having breakfast was spectacular.

Shul was interesting (?) I made it in time for the Torah reading and then to witness a battle between the leader of Mussaf and some congregants. He wanted to speed along without singing or even time to take a breath whilst the congregants wanted the opposite.

This was followed by kiddush and lunch. We had our Christmas turkey a few days early 😊

Then a Shabbat shluf for 2 1/2 hours. Then our Shabbat treat - ice cream. By this time all we could see was sea and white-capped waves (and in the far, far distance the NZ shore) and we had a long, long afternoon still to go.

Our little community (which comes from Australia, Mexico, UK and US) got together for Seudah. Talk about two Jews = four opinions, well we have 3 rabbis aboard with umpteen different ideas as to what time to make Havdalah. We finally took out Shabbat at 10.45.

Again I decided to try my luck in the casino. I decided to call it a night after 20 minutes and $2.50 down. We came back to the room to find water dripping from a light outside our room. So we reported it (twice). The solution : a bucket under the drip. Hmm, water and electricity not a good idea. For the next installment of Fawlty Ship watch this space.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0282s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1015.3kb