Milford Sound (10 Dec 2010)


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Milford Sound
February 12th 2011
Published: February 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Friday 10th December 2010 (Invercargill – Queenstown)

Josh dropped us off for the Milford Explorer and we quickly took a group photo before being picked up by Ringo (Kevin Pieterson’s cousin “apparently”) on the big green bus. We stopped off for breakfast at “Pop Inn” Te Anau. Unfortunately the weather was rubbish with fog and low cloud making sightseeing virtually impossible! We kept hoping it would get better as we got closer to Milford Sound, but it got worse, and by the time we got there it was raining hard. Ringo tried to assure us this was good as it meant all of the waterfalls would be flowing, but it was hard to appreciate them when we couldn’t step outside the bus.
The highlight of the day was a ferry around fiordland with a big buffet lunch. Occasional photos were snapped while hiding from the rain as best we could, but most of the time everyone just sat and chatted – such a shame while in a magnificent place, but it was hard to do much else. As the boat turned we got a brief glimpse of dolphins, but it was hard to track them for long in the grey waves.

Our pass included a stop at an underwater observatory, but it was sadly lacking in interest. Because of the darkness of the water we we’re supposedly seeing fish that would normally be found much deeper, but there were just a few corals attached to the observatory, with some plain fish swimming around and very little information about them.

Finally we left the rain behind us as we headed back to Queenstown... We were entertained with a DVD of “The Hangover”, and got equal enjoyment watching an older Korean couple in hysterics over the film – we thought initially they might find it crude.

A late night drinking at World Bar saying goodbye to Claire, Mel, Debbie and Kat who were moving on to Christchurch the following day :o(



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

On the boatOn the boat
On the boat

Katherine, Debbie, Cara, Mercedes & Richard


15th February 2011

Milford Sound
Think it always rains, at least you got a chance to see a little bit of it.

Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 14; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0599s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb