Kayaks away


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Milford Sound
April 6th 2007
Published: April 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Lunch Break.Lunch Break.Lunch Break.

A welcome break for a meal. the kayaks enjoyed the rest too.
Today has to be the best of all, as we were brave enough to go kayaking.
There were 8 of us in the group and we set off at 8.30 am, so it was an early start and breakfast in our campervan. We had stayed overnight in the only site at Milford Sound. There isn't actually much there at all, apart from a visitor centre, lots of moorings for boats, a cruise ship terminal , and ........................
Oh, and of course hoards of tourists. We don't count, 'cos we are in a campervan, not on a bus like the Japanese.
Anyway, we met our guide, a young lad called*****, who had trained to be a teacher, but then decided he wanted to work outdoors, so is getting outdoor qualifications. We told him to stick with outdoor stuff, naturally.
He then gave us thermal vest and leggings ( coms) and top, rubber top, spay deck, another waterproof top, lifevest and a hat.
We all looked like Bluto from Popeye.
Now we had to choose a kayak, 2 berth, so we chose yellow, not that we are cowards of course. Getting into the thing without tipping over was mastered by all (just)
The PoserThe PoserThe Poser

Joanna modelling the latest in designer kayak wear.
and we set off on our expedition.

First thing was to co ordinate the paddling, which we managed while watching everyone else struggle. The Sound was as smooth as a mirrror, and immediately we spotted a seal which had been paid to perform for us- as if!
The paddling was pretty easy so far, and after about 2 hours of sedate progress we landed on a small island where we had lunch.
However, the trip back proved to be more exhausting, as aged muscles had stiffened up after our rest and the tide was against us. STILL, we managed to paddle our way back to harbour and after beaching ( technical term!) we de Blutoed and wandered back to our van to be eaten by sandflies.
Yawn!



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

BeautyBeauty
Beauty

And the views were good too.
Lost?Lost?
Lost?

Wendy looking for her lunch. 'Look in the kayak!'
Now then....Now then....
Now then....

how to get a free trip next time. Just advertise on travelblog.


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0391s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb