Milford Sound


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Milford Sound
April 4th 2007
Published: April 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

DunedinDunedinDunedin

A house on the steepest street in the world. A good way to start the day.
WE've done a lot of driving since the last blog and Mount Cook. We hot-footed it down to Dunedin, where we visited museums and had the van repaired! Nothing serious, just no lights and electricity, so had to stay an extra half day while someone found the ghost in the machine. Dunedin is very small, like Durham, and on the day we stayed there was a cruise ship in port, an unusual event, so the place was packed out with people wanting trips to see the penguins etc. We went on a guided walk around the town, with a lady who was very enthusiastic and knowledgable and whose great-grandparents were some of the original settlers form Scotland. She talked for so long we mmissed our appointment to meet with James and Joanna who told us off when we finally met. They had been to a museum, naturally, and had left early to meet us! Naughty us!

After leaving Dunedin we drove towards Milford Sound, a great fiord on the West coast of NZ. As it was too far to drive in one go we stayed at a little village called Lumsden, where we 'freedom camped' in the centre, beside
Dunedin Railway stationDunedin Railway stationDunedin Railway station

The most photographed building in Dunedin, allegedly - but who is counting?
the disused railway station. Try doing that in Durham!

Next day we travelled to Te Aneu, where we stayed on a site with views to die for. In the evening we treated ourselves to a glow-worm tour across the lake. Half an hour in a boat, an hour in the glow-worm cave, and half an hour back. It was fantastic, a must-do if any of you ever come to NZ.

Today, we have driven to Milford Sound (maps out folks!), pausing on the way to climb a mountain. We really did! It was 991m high, and felt like it! Lots of stipping of of clothes as we walked up, however the walk down proved to be much easier, and the views from the top superb. Clear blue sky and warm, hope it stays the same tomorrow as we are kayaking on Milford Sound - we really are.

That's all for now, photos later, off to lounge by campervan overlooking stream with a bottle of beer- as long as the midges don't get me first!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Mirror LakeMirror Lake
Mirror Lake

On the Milford road while dodging all the bus trips ( yes they were filled with camera toting Japanese)
Key summitKey summit
Key summit

919M is a long way when it's hot and sunny, but we are made of stern stuff us Northerners.


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0348s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1020kb