A blue Lake


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Lake Tekapo
December 9th 2006
Published: December 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Tekapo


Lake Tekapo (say Tak-a-po) is a pretty smart place, its only a sleepy little village but it suited us for one night on our slog upto Christchurch. Didn't fancy the whole 500 km hike in one go.

The most unusual thing about the whole area is the really really blue water in all of the lakes, streams and canals that make up the network of waterways that supply New Zealand with most if it's hydro-electric power.

The blue water, if anybody is interested, is due to the pulverised and ground up rock from the melting glaciers that feed the waterways, they call this stuff "rock flour" and it stays suspended in the water making it appear blue. That's one for the Geography buffs but we are stuggling to think of anything to put in this entry as we didn't do anything other than walk around.

Again, like most places in the South Island the scenery is totally amazing, what else can we say, you've all seen the pictures, we can't keep going on about it any longer. Awesome!

Just one last place in New Zealand, the big smoke of the South Island. The most English city outside of England (apparantly), we shall see.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



15th December 2006

blue
Looks beautiful. Are you sure it's not just blue with cold? dad

Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 17; qc: 79; dbt: 0.0591s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb