Christchurch


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
December 10th 2006
Published: December 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Christchurch


CathedralCathedralCathedral

Christchurch Cathedral in the Square
Here is the lowdown on our last five nights in New Zealand in the capital of the South Island.

We left backpacking behind for a few nights and stayed with some of Claire's distant relatives in complete luxury just outside the city. We have been spoiled all week with home cooked food, ample drink and made to feel really welcome by our hosts Mal and Keith, and their daughters Joy and Donna.

Christchurch is a nice place and did remind us of England a bit, kinda like a nice English City. You are reminded that you are in New Zealand when you explore the local area, which we did thanks to the loan of a car by Donna. The banks peninsula is nearby and is a very smart place to check out for a few hours, the main town, Akaroa, is very small but sits right on the harbour and is very pretty. We also headed into Lyttelton which is a large sea port which is quite industrial, but the coast around there is typical new zealand.

Another highlight of the week was seeing kiwi's at the nearby nature reserve. As Mal and Keith know an employee we were lucky enough to see the breeding areas with incubators containg eggs and baby kiwi (aaaahhhhhhh!). For anybody who is unfamiliar with the Kiwi, its a nocturnal hairy bird thingy with whiskers that can't fly, its actually much cuter than it sounds. They are an endangered species due to introduced predators and this is the only way you will get to see them, unless you are very lucky.

The week was topped off nicely by an excellant meal at a nearby Thai restaurant which is the usual family haunt.

An excellant week in Christchurch so big thanks to Mal, Keith and family (if you get to read this!).

That's it now we are off to Australia for the festive season, although its a shame to leave New Zealand which has been our favourite destination so far, highly recommended.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

HogHog
Hog

Couldn't resist sticking this one on. What a minging creature.


Tot: 0.457s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 19; qc: 87; dbt: 0.3946s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb