Bright eyed and bushy tailed


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Kaikoura
February 7th 2010
Published: February 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

the old camper-vanthe old camper-vanthe old camper-van

camper-van culture is so cool. We found little groups of people doing the same thing as us everywhere we went.
Day 1: 7-2-10

Picked up the camper-van in Christchurch and headed north to the closest beach we could find. This happened to be in the small town of Kaiapoi, on the east coast nz. The ocean was chilly and the weather slightly overcast but the pacific ocean was certainly a sight for sore eyes. After we got our salt water fix we continued north on highway 1. After stopping at a liquor store to stock up for the trip, a local women told us to check out Hanmer Springs. Although, just like all of natures most beautiful treasures the human species decided it best to build a spa around the hot springs and charge an expensive cover for entry. Why is this process human tradition? Why do we feel the need to take natures most beautiful creations and make money off them when we receive these natural treasures free of charge in the first place?

Anyway...enough of my frustrations. By the way, if you are reading this blog entry or any other entry from here on out I personally give you permission to stop reading at any moment in time due to boredom or any illness my rudimentary english skills and thoughts have caused.

So with that disclaimer out of the way, after the disappointment at the springs we quickly got back in the camper-van and continued onward up the coast. Yet another side-note: driving on the left side of the road and on the right side of the car takes some getting used to. It might seem simple at first but left turns and right turns are confusing and therefore dangerous and with the van registered in my name due to age, I was hence mortified. The night was spent eating vegetable stir-fry and staying the night in Kaikoura.

Camper-van lesson number 1: it is embarrassing to get drunk on the first night of a trip...my bad.

Advertisement



23rd February 2010

Agree
Hey Lindsay. Nice to follow along with your trip. Too bad you guys couldn't get in to the hot springs. It would have been nice to experience and yeah some things should be left for nature.

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb