Devonport, NZ-North Head beach


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland » Devonport
February 6th 2010
Published: February 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

to whom this may concern,
Alright so I'm still getting used to this whole blog thing and I'm also not the sharpest tool in the shed... with that said the photos that are supposed to be connected to this entry are actually linked to the last entry I made...oops.
At this point we are still in Auckland for one more full day and then an early flight out to Chirstchurch in the morning. Yesterday we were advised by a local to check out Devonport which is like a 10 min. ferry ride from the main city part of Auckland. Really cool place...kinda like a Martha's Vineyard if I had to compare it to anything...or if I just wanted to.
Devonport was an old navy base from WWI and WWII, riddled with underground tunnels and old artillery stuff. After climbing up a really big hill and then walking down the other side...which somehow seemed unnecessary...we finally got to the North Head and Cheltanham beach! We pretty much spent the whole day hanging out and soaking up the sun which is quiet apparent if you saw how red my face is right now. I am living proof that there is a giant whole in the ozone right over New Zealand.
The locals there were really friendly and it felt great to swim in the ocean. After a few hours it was low tide and we were able to walk out about 100m, while the water level was still only at our knees! It was unreal seeing a 4 or so year old kid that far out in the ocean. The other event on the beach that day was a wedding. It was so beautiful and I honestly think it was the kind of wedding shindig that would have made Claire and Lauren proud!

Well I think that's all for now.

cheers,
lindsay

Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0441s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb