Tramping with the sheep


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Kaikoura
December 6th 2008
Published: December 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sorry my last post was a little scatterbrained. I was trying to type too quickly after a few sleepless nights.

Nez Zealand has been a huge culture shock after the past few months of hitting more difficult places. We expected it would be easy as we speak the language and the culture isn't terribly different (national obsession with macho tackle sport and love of beer) but we had no idea how incredibly easy this place would be. There are I-Site tourist info booths in every single town that are staffed with cheerful, knowledgeable staff; the streets are labelled so clearly it's impossible for this directionally challenged girl to get lost; and the people are so wonderfully friendly and happy to help.

We rented a car in Christchurch, picked up a tent at a Wal-Mart-esque store, and have been "tramping" around the South Island for the past ten days. We've hiked in the Southern Alps, took a helicopter to the top of a glacier to climb around on the ice, saw sperm whales on a whale watch, ate whitebait pizza, and mingled with the crazy locals at a horse race event. We've also driven A LOT.

We cross to the North Island tomorrow, which is supposed to be warm and wonderful. (The cold and rain here are getting to me!)

My time's about up. I hope everyone's having a wonderful start to the holiday season. See you soon!

~Kelly

Advertisement



7th December 2008

giffinf@verizon.net
Can't believe this adventure is coming to an end. We would love to see you when you reach L.A. We're just an hour north of there and have a comfortable bed awaiting and home-cooked food. Let me know and I'll give you our phone number.
8th December 2008

Hehe...you said "tramping"
Sounds like an awesome time! My MOH lived there for a few months last year and has some of the most AMAZING pictures.

Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0869s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb