Hanmer Springs


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Kaikoura
October 3rd 2007
Published: October 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

9:45pm - Yesterday we continued forth on our travels to what I've been looking forward to in New Zealand, the hot springs.

The hot volcanic springs are located in the town Hanmer Springs. Only a short drive from where we were staying in Kaikoura.

After leaving our spa and hostel we first headed to a cave tour that we had booked. The caves are just on the outskirts of Kaikoura and are over 2 million years old. We were met by the most adorable guide easily in his 70's and absolutely great. Totally reminded me of Grandad as he energetically tramped around the cave. Despite being a good 50 years older than us he was 100 times more agile scooting over the rocks and formations. He showed us the cave in all its dimly lit glory and even played a little question and answer game. The tour was both interesting and informative and the stylish hard hat i got to wear made me feel the part and helped protect Claire from hurting herself (A skill of which she has mastered successfully on our many holidays.) After the tour we continued our drive about 2 minutes down the road before Claire saw a winery and her pleading eyes turned to me, drool and severe thirst displayed on her face. Whilst i browsed the shop, purchasing a cute present for mum Claire proceeded to taste about 8 different wines before merrily allowing me to continue our drive.

We arrived later in Hanmer and found a quaint hostel in the midst of the town. Arriving late afternoon we spent the evening relaxing and playing board games (aren't we cool) with a German guy named Alex, a Southamptoner named Laura and a lady named Lema who came from Nottingham (Gun crime city so she kept being informed).

Today we awoke to the soft patter of snow on our window. Being southern and rarely seeing 'Real snow' I thoroughly frustrated everyone with my constant bounding and excitement before me and Claire decided that since it was snowy we'd play mini-golf. Weird i know.

We headed to a-MAZE-agolf. A mini golf course and maze, oddly. First we went in the maze. Styled like an Indiana Jones labyrinth we were told to compete against each other, solve the riddle and reach the exit first. Claire energetically ran off in one direction and i not so energetically strolled slowly the opposite way. The maze itself was brilliant with pools of water, glow in the dark passages and a stepping stone game near the end. Reaching the last section of the maze i saw that Claire was already there but confused (somehow) about the exit so with all my logic and knowledge i went to the turnstile gate, pushed it and beat her.

Currently we have just returned from the hot springs. The snow stopped about 2pm and so the weather although chilly was reasonable. Myself, Claire, Laura and Lema have spent a relaxing hour sat in hot, egg smelling water relaxing our aching bones (Hey, its tiring not working). The temperature ranged in the many pools from 32 to 41 degrees and after testing many we ended at a happy medium enjoying the hot jets against our bodies whilst our faces suffered the cold, brisk air.

The spa's, although busy, were fantastic.

Currently sat in the hostel chatting and now bloody freezing!

Kelly x



Advertisement



Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0957s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb