Last bit of New Zealand


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand
October 6th 2007
Published: October 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

9pm - Another Recap over the past few days. Thursday morning we said our goodbyes to the girls we met and took to the road for the last installment of our long drive. We drove back to Christchurch and before booking into our hostel went to check out Omaro Wildlife Park.

Claire was excited the moment we stepped out of the car, constantly talking about seeing the Kiwi bird.

The first place we headed was the giraffe enclosure as minutes later the visitors were allowed to help feed them. As you can imagine this made very happy as the giraffe ate my branch and then licked the remainder out of my hand. Giraffe saliva Rocks. Lol. After feeding the beautiful creaures we continued to explore the park. I came face to face (via glass) with merekats (my favourite animal) and one puts its paw against my hand. Awwwww.

We took in Rhinos, Tigers, Wild dogs, Cheetahs, Monkeys and many more. Stroked a calf and 2 lambs and then finally it was that all important time that Claire had patiently awaited. THE KIWI HOUSE. As Kiwis are nocturnal, timid creatures we had to silently enter a dark room and when our eyes adjusted a long beak poked its head from behind the trees. Being New Zealands school holidays there were many children. Loud, disobedient children. These kids spent the time in the Kiwi house chatting loudly, scaring the birds. Claire snapped. Again unleashing the scary side within. In politer words she basically told the children to shut up. There mum looked on stupidly with no idea how to look after her children and then used the flash on her camera to scare the birds. I remained calm until one of the children continued to flash a laser on his watch into the pen. I then snapped, Quote "If that laser doesnt go out im gonna throw that pissing watch out the window" Sorry about the language mum. The mother then attempted dismally to lecture the children.

After this fun drama when people were eventually quiet we did properly see the Kiwi and Claire was once again happy. Beautiful and very odd looking creatures.

Eventually i managed to drag Claire away from the birds and we drove to our next accommodation, The Jailhouse. As you can no doubt guess this is an old jail that has been beautifully converted into a hostel. Upon entering our MUG SHOTS were taken before we were shown to our room. The evening was spent relaxing and cleaning the car in preparation for its return in the morning. We watched a movie called Heavenly Creatures. A fantastic oscar nominated movie based on true life about two girls whose obsessive friendship leads to murder. One of the girls Pauline resided in our prison.

Yesterday, after returning the car we caught a bus, Heaven forbid, and went into town so Claire could do some last minute shopping (Genuinely scared by this new side of her.)

In the evening we went back into the centre for drinking. We didnt want to go to the obvious bars (around Catherdral square) as although no doubt fun are over touristy and so ruin the experience and so were advised to go down 'His lordships lane'. Was brilliant had bars with HUGE outdoor TV's, fires and both beanbags and deckchairs adorning the ground. The atmosphere was also good being surrounded by New Zealanders.

Today being our last full day in New Zealand i thought it only fair for Claire to see more Kiwis before we left so, somewhat strangely we went to the aquarium that also houses them.

Arriving in the square, and being a saturday, the arts market was on. This was brilliant as, as well as the market, a stage is set up with live acts each week. We saw shows ranging from comedy and sketches to Cultural dancing groups.

The aquarium was wicked. Sharks and Rays swam around us and there were 4 tanks dedicated just to Eels (Which thoroughly freaked me out) Then back we headed to see the Kiwi one last time. A totally different experience from the last, a guide took just me and Claire in and we stood in silent awe of the creaures as they made their way towards the glass and us. To Claires amusement and happiness one even tripped over a branch. It was lovely seeing them in such a relaxed, calm and peaceful environment and made the whole day special.

After a quick browse in Riccarton mall we're now back in the room about to pack before awaking at 4am for the trip to the airport.

Oz tomorrow. So excited to see a new country but sad to leave behind the beauty that is New Zealand.

Kelly x

Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb