New wheels but old springs


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Kaikoura
April 21st 2007
Published: April 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Fur SealsFur SealsFur Seals

We really did get this close- really.
What happened after Fox?
Well, we slept well!
Seriously, Alan had a long hard day of driving in torrential rain, as we travelled up the West Coast. Road between temperate rain forest and The Tasman Sea .
Some really weird driving conditons up here- twice we shared creek crossing bridges with the railway lines going down the middle, not that we saw many trains, THREE in the whole South Island.
An overnight halt at a little picnic site beside a stream had us peering out most of the night to ceck stream water levels as the rain deluged down. In the morning Slab Creek brought sun and two visiting Wekas, NZ bird resembing kiwi.
With blue skies our luck held weather-wise as we took the Lewis Pass to cross over the Alps again to the east coast.The rain had been snow on the mountains so the views were magnificent as we drove,lunched and walked.
Our destination was Hanmer Springs - hot thermal baths in a village surrounded by snow-capped mountains. We drove straight there and sat in the steaming water in the dark looking at the stars. Milky Way was spotted by all,first time for many,as there is no light
Hanmer SpringsHanmer SpringsHanmer Springs

Lazing in the springs, with surrounding snow capped hills- amazing.
pollution here.
Sadly trouble came overnight,as Friday the 13th dawned to a leaking van, James" bed soaked ( with water) , as well as water pump not working.
Even more phonecalls to owners , and the offer of a new van which we gladly accepted. Amanda and Rachelle drove it yp on Sat am . It is 10 yrs old, but WORKS!Feels like a tank to drive and handles like one, but is sturdier than the first one.
Alan , meanwhile played golf with Joanna as caddy. Everyone else had more thermal springs.
With new van it was off to Kaikoura on the east coast for seal watching- fur seals basking. New day northwards along road resembling Ocean Highway in Oz, through vine yards at Blenheim to the small port of Picton nestled at the end of Queen Charlotte Sound.
Very early start on 16th as we caght 8 am ferry to Wellington.

North Island delights await.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Our walkOur walk
Our walk

We didn't meet any cannibals.
This is a roundabout..This is a roundabout..
This is a roundabout..

with a railway line through the middle of it!!!!
Our pet birdOur pet bird
Our pet bird

Really tame - until it saw the mouse.


Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0216s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1021.3kb