New Zealand - Greymouth


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Greymouth
November 5th 2008
Published: November 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

I was planning to tell the diary all about our wonderful stay in the beautiful city of Greymouth but Greymouth was as grey as its name. It simply rained all the way from Franz Josef to Greymouth and continued overnight with the addition of a very strong wind. The van really rocked during the night but that is perhaps another story.

I am sure that Greymouth is a really nice place but all we saw was the supermarket and the local restaurant - The Australian. Don't ask me how it got its name - nobody could tell me. One strange (to us)thing about Public Houses over here is that they all have a bookies attached to them with a few television sets showing all kinds of sports and up to a dozen one armed bandits. They apparently have a State Tote system over here and terminals where you can gamble all your money at the same time as drinking yourself to death. Apparently there no private bookies in New Zealand, they are all state controlled and regulated.

This restaurant where l had a very nice steak and Nancy had really tucked into a huge salad. Can l just say that up to now Nancy has not been impressed with range of food in New Zealand. I have to agree with Nancy that the range and diversity of food is very limited. All the menu are essentially the same with Lamb, Fish and Steaks and very few vegatarian or salad dishes.

For those who like nice wine l have to say that l have impressed with New Zealand wines. Among those l have 'sampled' recently include a nice Pinot Gris 2007 from Stoneleigh Marlborough. The Far Paddock, Artisan again a Pinot Gris from Waitakere Marlborough and Sauvignon Blanc 2007 from Maude Marlborough. Strength wise they run at about 13%. All very nice.

Oh by the way we met a nice English lady in the New World Supermarket who hails from North Wales. They moved out here a couple of years ago when her husband got a job as a welder. They have never looked back and are really really happy. Apparently they just decided to uproots and move, having not even visited the place, it was almost an instant decision. The only things she misses are Asda and Tesco who apparently don't deliver here.

In conclusion to Therese. I do sincerely hope that the new job is working out well for you and l will see you on our return.




Advertisement



Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0587s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb