New Zealand - Takaka


Advertisement
Published: November 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

G'day folks

I think l really really spoilt Nancy's Holiday yesterday. I left her absolutely devastated. So what cruel and inhumane crime did l commit?

I forced Nancy to walk on sand!!!. Anybody that knows Nancy will understand this - she just hates doing it.
The fact that the sand was on the beach which was just feet away from the van and the sun was really shining did nothing to encourage her. Anyway she survived - just.

While we on the beach we decided that we should 'bite the bullet' and go for a long walk. While we were walking we just happened to come across a small stream which was trickling into the sea. Nancy managed to transverse some stones and make it across without problem. Me being a clever **** decided that l would jump what was in effect just a small stream. Needless to say l failed - landed in the water, got both feet wet and splashed Nancy in the eye. She was not amused, but got over it - more than l did!!!.

While we were in Pohara Beach, part of Golden Bay (the actual place we stayed) we met up with this guy in the local restaurant who offered to show a little of his national park. So off we went in this battered old white minibus and he took us all over the place. He was a font of all knowledge about the whole of Abel Tasman National Park which is a truly magnificent place to see. Nancy really enjoyed the trip - to such an extent that l have now rechristened her 'Oh Look' because that has become her favourite catchword saying around these parts.

Actually getting to the resort itself in the first place was an experience in its self. We had to tranverse a huge mountain and pass known as Takaka Mountain sometimes known as Marble Mountain. From the base of one side to the bottom of the far side was 25kms long and was the most windy and twisty road we have driven on. It was it seemed a constant set of hairpin bends with sheer drops down the sides. But the views from the roads were spectacular and worth every oz of sweat and anxiety on the way and down. On the morning of our departure it was Nancy who drove very well and l took some video. I would have driven but in the morning l appeared to have a problem with my balance (a bit like Jacquie had a few weeks ago). I think l have recovered - so far.

Seriously the only down side to our stay at Pohara Sands is that the only two bars - The Penquin closed at 10pm and The Sands closed at 8pm - Yes 8pm. So what do you do in circumstances? You go the local shop -buy some beers and wine and go back to the van and watch Mamma Mia on the Mp4 player. Sorted (as Mike says)

Anyway today we travel onto Picton - another 3 hour drive plus stops. I will tell all about that tomorrow.







Advertisement



8th November 2008

about bloody time !
its about bloody time you pair came home is it not- the sooner you come home the sooner we go to riga,have fun, Ali.
10th November 2008

napier
that is ny kind of town

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0482s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb