Getting to Grips with the Glacier - Franz Joseph


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Glaciers
December 29th 2005
Published: March 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Pam on Franz Joseph GlacierPam on Franz Joseph GlacierPam on Franz Joseph Glacier

Was the start of the hike so smiling madly!
Arrived in this small glacier focused town, just stopping on the way for a spot of gold panning (no nuggets found alas) just in time for my heli-hike. I thought it was worth blowing the budget and getting right up on top of the glacier to really appreciate the size and magnificence of Franz Joseph, and I wasn’t wrong!

I got into the front seat of the helicopter (there are definite pro’s to be light weight!) feeling like a member of the A-team and with my ear protectors in place we took off. The experience of flying in a helicopter was amazing, although flying along you got so close to the rocks it is pretty scary at times! We landed right on to the ice, a real feat of skill for the pilots as everything is so slippery.

After some instructions from our guide (unfortunately not a gorgeous Swedish hunk but a girl) and with crampons firmly attached to our boots the group set off across the ice in brilliant sunshine. Our guide took us through ice tunnels, up and over the ice where we saw streams and lakes that were the most amazing colour of blue. Surprisingly walking with the crampons was remarkably easy as long as you stepped firmly on to the ice, our guide also seemed to opt for a nice easy route which meant we weren’t overly tested and could just enjoy the experience.

Discovered whilst hiking that my old tennis coach (Kevin) from St Helen’s was also a member of the group - how bizarre! In no time at all our 2 hours was up and it was sadly time to head home. Did enjoy a few bevvies in the numerous pubs in Franz Joseph in the evening - they certainly seemed to know how to party here.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.056s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb