A Break in the Rain


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Glaciers
December 9th 2005
Published: December 9th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Finally a break in the rain. And not to sound like spoiled sports but seriously this was supposed to be summer (soltice around the corner and 5 straight days of rain was a little much. And it reains hard as any island country knows. It did stop a few times like on the ferry from the north to south islands. which was nice. you roll right into the Marlborough Sounds which inspired neither of us to start smoking. We then headed straight to Kaikora for whale watching, BUT got rained out. The plus was that we had a fantastic dinner of local mussles and lamb. (Don't tell grandparents). So after that we quickly headed to Christchurch to trade in our rental car for TADAHHHH a sleeper van. Actually it's called a Spaceship simce it's a converted minivan which sleeps two quite comfortably. Now that we can sleep anywhere we did. First night was next to a lake about 30 minutes from Arthurs Pass which is the gateway driving from East South island to West South island over the southern alps. Great nite cooked out (pit toilette not the best). And as was the usual the next morning brought rain. So we ran to the West coast only to followed by the rain. UGH!!!! We stopped briefly in Punakaki (don't laught it's the real name). There are some remarkable rock formations from the sea beating the rocks. After that drove south to Franz Joseph Glacier (forgettable fish sandwich lunch which looked more like an omlette).
So here we are in Franz Joseph. WOW. Oh yeah it rained all night and most of the morning but we booked a guided tour of the glacier anyway. 3km to the base of this incredible glacier which is situated in a rainforest so it's actually warm despite being a bunch of ice the size of Auckland. Incredible day marked with hawk sitings on the glacier and steep ascents via pick axe staircases. And just as we were fighting through the sideways rain the clouds broke and blue skies reared their unfamiliar head. Unreal! So now morale is better. Back to the campsite and dinner maybe a kayak trip tomorrow and heading further south. Fiorland is on the way. Miss everyone.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



9th December 2005

Teeth
I cant believe how white Aneta's teeth are. Its the only way I could tell it was her in the glacier. BTW...WOW...what a picture.
9th December 2005

So happy for you.
Once again. Thank you, Jon, for great writing. You look great and it seems to me that even rain can't spoil the experiences you are haveing. I printed some pictures for Grandparents. Love, Mom
9th December 2005

Still jealous even with rain
The pictures are great. Keep writing I love it. Take Care, stay dry. Me :)
12th December 2005

Miss you
We are vary happy that you are having a good time. Sorry for all the rain you had. We came to visit Mom, so we can see the travel Blog, but something happened to the computer and all the pictures are just black boxes. Love you, Miss you, Grandparents.
13th December 2005

Happy Birthday
Hope you guys are having fun. Jon have a great birthday. Love, Steph
15th December 2005

Happy B-day Jon!
We are so happy for you and your trip that missed Jon's birthday. We love you, already had a couple drink to your health!!! Kisses from all of us.

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0513s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb