Rained out...


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Whakapapa
December 5th 2005
Published: December 5th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Hello again! Well, we're nearing the end of week 1 of our trip and have, again, realized that planning ahead is very helpful (ie- weather forecasts). First, the highlights of the last few days.
From Rotorua we headed south to Waitomo where we enjoyed a lovely ride in freezing cold water in the cave system (in the least sexy wet suits ever!) to see the "Glow-worms". THeir not really glow-worms, they're really moth larvae/maggots whose feces glow in the dark to attract food. Gross yes- but overall very impressive in an almost Disneyland -ride sort of way.
From there we spent the night at a "farmstay". Basically, we paid an elderly couple to let us stay in their kid's room and include us in their dinner plans. THey had sheep (no jokes) and deer so we felt very authentic. Not to mention they had a fantastic house with great views (see attached breakfast photo). Our evening plans were augmented by tickets to the local speed shearing competition (the town "Te Kuiti" is, afterall, the sheep shearing capital of the world. Honest). Top prize $2500. See attached photo. Not included are images of the decked out ladies and gents for a night out on the town. BLack camis, high heels - the works. Needless to say, we were underdressed.
Heading south towards Tongariro National Park for "the greatest one day walk on earth". Picture the following: newlyweds, romantic camping adventure in the shadow of two volcanoes. Reality check - 2 morons huddled in a rain-soaked tent washed out by gale-force winds. ooops.
check weather.com next time.
Bringing us to now. After cramming our wet gear and 2 german exchange students into our rental car we b-lined it to wellington for a sheltered evening before crossing cook's straight by ferry in the morning...more later😊



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



5th December 2005

Sexy Beast
Ok..so no one would look as sexy as you two in that outfit. Iam swooning as we speak. BTW..on a totally diff topic, the Audi just spanked the competition in some crash tests! Thinking of you often. Talk soon.
5th December 2005

Shut the hell up...I can't believe you left already...I was just wondering if you had gone on your trip!!!! Keep the emails coming and have fun!!!!
6th December 2005

Sooooooooooo Jealous
Sounds and looks like y'all are having a great time. Wish I could be there (not the entire time). Miss you. Hope the weather stays dry and warm. Love, Steph

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0599s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb