Hit the ground running...


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Rotorua
December 3rd 2005
Published: December 5th 2005
Edit Blog Post

We made it. That isn't saying much as we had a wonderful flight including sleep. Aneta too which means the flight was really that nice and smooth. So we landed in Auckland and after 2 hours deciding on vehicles at the airport we made our way into the city, on the other (wrong) side of the road. I say we but really Aneta. I just kept repeating, "This is so weird." Day 1, which is really day three b/c day 2 never existed (some int'l date thing-a-ma-gig), was spent walking around Auckland and a ferry ride to Devonport. This is actually a suburb of Auckland and one takes a 12 minute ferry to avoid the traffic of going around by bus. This made us start thinking that a ferry from Malibu to Santa Monica might be just what LA needs. Day 1 also included a walk through town. Further reminding us that a good map is essential as we walked parallel but not on the bus street for 2 hrs until we arrived in city center. Ooops. Neverthe less the day was marked by some lovely scenery and the other ingenius non-American cross all ways cross walks. Red light and everyone walks to the right/left/cross and back. Our first day concluded with a resummiting of the dormant Mt Eden volcano (summit is a generous term) for sunset snapshots.
DAY 2 or 4 if you want to be accurate. We drove to Rotorua along the "geothermal explorer highway". This area is also rich with volcanic history and is marked with many thermal pools rivers and waterfalls. So as you may imagine the whole town smells like rotten eggs. But lovely. After a walk around the lake in the center of town we eased into the hot pools at the Polynesian spa. Funny enough I am apparently mildly allergic to sulfur pools and (picture not included) was a nice shade of rasberry all nite. Quiet dinner and then off to tubing in the infamous glow worm caves tomorrow. Special birthday wishes to Adrienne but your real gift comes in just a few weeks. We can't wait to see pictures... Thanks for reading. Miss you all already.

Loose itinerary for all of those of you who asked (and may want to meet us - you're welcome) Starts in NZ and then onto Australia and then to Thailand for New Years. After that it remains to be seen... Will post more later.

Advertisement



5th December 2005

omg, you guys better have pictures of Jon red like a rasberry! lol. sounds like you're having a blast. see ya soon!
6th December 2005

From Mom
Hi guys, Jon, you are great at writing and you Anetochka, look beautiful on the picture " rested after spa" . Love you both, Miss you, Mom

Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 22; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0634s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb