Ice Climbing On Fox Glacier


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Glaciers
November 24th 2006
Published: November 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Introducing: The ClimbersIntroducing: The ClimbersIntroducing: The Climbers

Michelle, Dennis and Justin setting off for a brilliant day of ice climbing.
After doing some sight seeing down the West Coast of South Island, I would then come to the Glaciers. Fox and Franz Josif.

On my previous trip to New Zealand, I did a day walk up the Franz Josif Glacier (which was great). This time however I wanted to have a go at Ice Climbing and check out Fox glacier.

With the day walk (previous trip) the guide cuts steps in the ice for you. This was good but this time I was able to venture off the normal cut tracks and on to virgin glacier. Nice! On the day walk you don't get proper crampons to walk about with, but with ice climbing you do - and you bloody need them! The guide to tourist ratio for the day walk is about 1:25. For ice climbing it's 1:4.

An early start for the 3 tourists and our guide, Dennis. The day began with getting all of our gear from the office. Trying it on, making sure everything worked okay. Then a short shuttle bus ride later, we were on foot and walking towards Fox glacier.

Fox Glacier is what they call a 'wet' glacier, which means
Sub-tropical Rain ForestSub-tropical Rain ForestSub-tropical Rain Forest

A glacier that approches sea level, flanked by sub-tropical rain forest. Where? Only NZ!
that the ambient temperature is greater than zero. What this means at Fox is that you walk through sub-tropical rain forest to get to the face of the glacier (since the glacier is so low down the mountain side). Also, during a period in which most glaciers around the world are receeding the Fox glacier is advancing. The front of the glacier will be less than 100 meters above sea level. Quite unusual, I am told!

Anyhow, that was the "science part". Now the fun....

After the walk through sub-tropical rain forest, we walked a small distance on to the glacier where we put our crampons on and began learning to walk all over again. It's a little different from what you might expect - but not very difficult to grasp quickly.

After a while, and a reasonably height gain, Dennis (guide) showed us how to walk up some really steep stuff using our crampons. After a quick practice each we all soon mastered that bit. Next came the first climb...

They gave us 2 ice axes (or tools) each and a quick chat about how technique, then we had a crack. See photo's/ Video clips
Don't worry - You Won't Fall!!!!Don't worry - You Won't Fall!!!!Don't worry - You Won't Fall!!!!

Dennis; keeping a close eye on me whilst belaying another climber. don't worry climber you'll be right!!!!
of climb 1. It is quite a different experience from rock climbing (that i have, at least, tried before). You really have to concentrate on getting your crampon perpendicular to the ice wall you are climbing. If you don't all the work goes to your arms and you tire very quickly.

Anyhow, after a few adjustments to the technique we were all climbing pretty well and had nailed the first climb. The second was a bit steeper and more difficult. See photo's/video clips of climb 2.

Towards the end of the day Dennis, bless him, found a pretty sick over hang. That we would burn ourselves out on at the end of a brilliant day. This climb was a real difficult one to start. It was part way into a crevas, and you could not start with your feet on the ice. It had to be your arms. We all huffed and puffed and sweated our way to the top. Many of us had a few "Elvis" moments - shaking, tired limbs, whilst trying to advance a little further. All great fun. See the photos (climb 3).

To round the day off, Dennis lowered each of us
Justin Makes The TopJustin Makes The TopJustin Makes The Top

Well done mate. Careful with those victory cellebrations though. You never know what might happen! ha!
(individually!) into a big crevas. You could not see the bottom of this thing, nor - i think - would you want to! It went very deep from the sounds that the boulders we threw down there made! Anyhow, Dennis just kept lowering you down until you said stop and then you had to climb out. This was also brilliant fun, if tiring. Dennis will remember the look on my face when I was about 2 metres from the top looking up hopefully and exhausted. Ha! we had quite a joke about that moment after the climb was over.

My other climbing buddies for the day were Michelle and Justin. Both Ozzies and both very cool. Poor Justin had to set his tent up in the rain after a full day on the glacier! Whilst I went back to my hostel for a hot shower and a cup of tea!....





Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Roly Making The First ClimbRoly Making The First Climb
Roly Making The First Climb

Come on. That's an easy one!
Roly Making The First Climb 2Roly Making The First Climb 2
Roly Making The First Climb 2

Come on. That\'s an easy one!


27th November 2006

with you all the way..
keep up the work/play roly....deb n hannah say hi. look forward to your next episode. Take care buddy.
28th January 2007

cheers piers!
Thanks man! See you in a phew weeks. I might even make cwm carn!

Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0211s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb