Franz Josef Glacier Hike


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Franz Josef
March 18th 2010
Published: March 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Up bright and early to get ready for our glacier hike - we take advantage of the breakfast on offer as we are unsure of when we will next eat!
We walked to the office for the Franz Josef Glacier hike and received our equipment and saftey talks.

A ten minute journey got us to the car park at the foot of the glacier (give or take 2km).

We were told about the geology and geography of the glacier before getting on the ice we had to put on our crampons (Kerry started to moan a lot at this point).

We got on the ice and were surprised to see it was blue (due to its size and the way it reflects the light and the sky).

Our guide was cutting the steps in the ice as we went and was amused to find Kerry literally stuck on some steep steps.

We went through ice tunnels and crevices,up a ladder and stopped at the waterfall.

Lots of pictures were taken today and we got grumpy with each other-our physical strength and fitness levels being so different.

Once back on Terra firma we returned our equipment and set off back to our room.

We decided to make the most of our tickets to the spa hot pools.
We were amazed-3 pools each set at different temperatures-36,38 and 40 degrees, all outside.

After 2 amazing hours in the water we decided to go and eat. We had a delicious roast pork dinner and pushed the boat out by having dessert.

Back to the hostel to pack and rest ready for the early start tomorrow.



Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.028s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0769s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb