Doubtful sound Overnight cruise


Advertisement
Published: March 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The Boat over Lake ManapouriThe Boat over Lake ManapouriThe Boat over Lake Manapouri

Im not even at Doubtful Yet!
Since being in Te Anau i had been advised by many that the Doubtful sound cruise is actually more impressive than the Milford cruise. So i luckily managed to get on another 'hot deal' offer to go on Doubtful Sound. It is a long trip up to the Sound as it is a more difficult to get to. Firstly I drove to Manapouri then got a ferry across the Lake. Then a 1hr coach trip over a mountain pass (which had some amazing views in itself!) to the otherside where the cruise started. It was a drizzly day and really cloudly which added a great erry mist to the sounds which apparently is the best weather to see it. It also snowed the night before (in March!- New Zealand Summer still!!!) so the scenery was really impressive! Doubtful Sound really makes you feel like you are in complete wilderness! theres just nothing other than the cruise ship and you. Its such a remote place, there's no one that lives within 150km in any direction.

Doubtful is much longer than milford so you get to see really different sorts of scenery. In the evening i went Kayaking on the Sound which was really cool. It was so relaxing and peaceful there. Brill!!!
in the morning, the trip became even better when a group of dolphins started swimming along the side of the cruise ship i got some great shots but missed some of the more spectacular jumps the dolphins did, one somehow managed to jump upto almost eye height with us which was like 10metres up from the water! it was really cool.
I loved the views and I had to agree the trip was better than Milford Sound, however I think it depended much on how the weather was so weird and interesting, which worked really well with the scenery. I think Milford's mountains are more spectacular.
A great experience and great to see.





Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Doubtful SoundDoubtful Sound
Doubtful Sound

It started really cloudy
Doubtful SoundDoubtful Sound
Doubtful Sound

At about 6 30am.
Doubtful SoundDoubtful Sound
Doubtful Sound

Then the dolphins started swimming by the Ship
Doubtful SoundDoubtful Sound
Doubtful Sound

The cloud cover in this pic to me looks ace
Doubtful SoundDoubtful Sound
Doubtful Sound

The cloud cover in this pic to me looks ace


Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 70; dbt: 0.1198s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb