Soaking Up The Views Of The Milford Track Part 2


Advertisement
Published: August 9th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -44.6698, 167.928

Each day we hoped the weather would change, we had already had enough of the rain and we just wanted a little break in the weather, even for just a few hours and especially as we were headed straight up to MacKinnon Pass for some spectacular views. But alas we were not granted with such luck.

The morning was cloudy with no rain, yet! We set off early again, we were the second group after a group of three old Japanese walkers, and we soon caught up to them just after the main ascent to the top. Rain had appeared here and there but the cloud still hovered low.

We did manage a few views back down the valley which were quite amazing, but as we got to the top the cloud had completely covered everything. We were first up to the Mackinnon Memorial and seeing as the cloud was dominant and the rain had started, we weren't going to be hanging around.

Twenty minutes later and we were at the highest point in the trek and at the summit hut which is available for both unguided and guided to take a break and see some spectacular views, but in our case it was a refuge from the relentless rain and wind.

We grabbed a snack break and slowly other people arrived. Not blessed with extraordinary views we decided to push on, where the only way was down. As soon as we left the rain and wind became super intense and froze my hands and nose within minutes. It gradually got better as we descended and it was crazy to see the speed in which the clouds lifted and dropped from the end of the valley. As soon as the cloud lifted it re-covered the landscape just as quick.

The rain continued, as we followed waterfalls and eventually arrived at the junction to Sutherland Falls and another chance to hide from the rain in a hut adjoined to the guided trekker's accommodation. There they provided some free tea and coffee and even muffins.

After a bit of a break we took the track to Sutherland Falls, we walked pretty quickly as we wanted to avoid getting even wetter. The falls were amazing and the fifth highest in the world, but the rain prevented staring up for long, so that meant photos were out of the question.

Hurrying back we got were soon off for one last hour in the rain to the hut. We went through the process of drying everything again, frying wet socks on the heaters. The hut ranger for the night wasn't as entertaining as the previous ones but had some funny stories of people doing stupid stuff on the track.

It's not too often you wake up in the middle of summer and see that snow has covered the tops of mountains. We set off early again so that we would be able catch the 2pm ferry at Sandfly Point and the end of the trek.

Our last day was pleasant but it still continued to rain, eventually we thought it would be better to have packed a wetsuit for the trek. We also managed to pack the right amount of food for the whole time which was great. As we leaped frogged with the other trekkers, the mile markers signalled the final miles of the trek. We past Lake Ada and the sun finally popped through for about ten minutes which was a nice feeling to know what it could have been. The last section of the track was maintained by prison inmates and the famous Milford Sound Mountains appeared and I got the sense of the walk coming to an end but I wished it could have continued.

It was the sense of being able to enjoy an untouched part of the world and being away from civilization that felt relaxing.

The boat to civilization then took us to the infamous Milford Sound where we didn't have time to stick around as we jumped straight on the bus back to Queenstown, but we will be back.We spent one last night in Queenstown before heading back to Christchurch via a 9 hour bus trip. This time and third time lucky we got to see Mount Cook with no cloud in sight.

A few days later we attended my cousins wedding near Timaru, set in a beautiful old house with sunny conditions, the night was fantastic.

The Milford Track was incredible and something I would recommend. I am glad it surpassed my expectations; I just wished it didn't rain the whole time.


Additional photos below
Photos: 57, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.035s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0235s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb