Otago Peninsula and Beyond


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
February 25th 2010
Published: February 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Dunedin and Robert BurnsDunedin and Robert BurnsDunedin and Robert Burns

Nightfall in the main Square
The hotel in Dunedin was probably the least perfect of our entire journey. (They're not used to the heatwave they're having, so there was no air-con in the hotel. )

The other problem we had in Dunedin was the forest fire raging just outside of town (caused by sparks from a logging operation!) Most of the time we were in the vicinity there was a light pall of smoke in the background - and we had to abort our planned train journey because the train tracks went straight through the fire zone. So, after paying our respects to Robert Burns' magnificent statue, we set off up the Otago Peninsula for a short cruise round the cliffs where the Albatrosses nest. The birds were interesting (they need a wind of 25kph just to take off!) but the seals and sealions were more entertaining. And the star was the single solitary little penguin we came across as he stood on a rock ledge looking out to sea. We laughed when the waves swelled up round his little body, but he had the last laugh, by diving into the water and gliding just under the waves right past the boat in expert style.
Relaxing SealsRelaxing SealsRelaxing Seals

No whales yet
No awkwardness there! The boat trip, incidentally, was shared with a group of Australians who were very informative about wild-life activities above and below the water.

The drive along the Otago peninsula was very attractive as well. The road hugs the edge of the cliffs all the way out, giving superb views of every cove and inlet.

After this, we had to make for Christchurch, our final stopping place. We called in at Moeraki on the way (famous for its perfectly spherical boulders) and then stopped at Ashburton for Fish and Chips. And then we found that the car battery was flat! We called the Roadside Assistance, only to find that their after-hours service is located in Australia! Fortunately, we were stuck outside a house belonging to a young man with Jump Leads. So, after a bit of stuttering we got started and staggered over the finishing line into Christchurch.

Yesterday was a day for relaxation and sight-seeing in Christchurch. All-day bus tickets were $11 only, so after a day spent watching punting on the river Avon, dropping in on sports day at Christ Church Public (?) School and strolling round the park surrounding the botanic gardens,
Otago PeninsulaOtago PeninsulaOtago Peninsula

Sorry about the Aussie who got in the way!
we took a long bus ride to the seaside (Sumner) to watch surfers and to get our money's worth.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Maori Farewell Maori Farewell
Maori Farewell

Free performance in Cathedral Sq Christchurch
Captain Scott (Christchurch)Captain Scott (Christchurch)
Captain Scott (Christchurch)

NZ is fascinated by Antarctica


Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0588s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb