Skiing the Slopes of the Southern Alps-Photos!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Central Otago » Wanaka
August 21st 2005
Published: October 5th 2005
Edit Blog Post

G'day!

After an invigorating jump off of a cliff in Queenstown, we all excitedly jumped into our rental car, "Sunny". No we ddint name her this cheesy to the max name. Its a silver Nissan model name -Sunny. no joke. pretty crazy. And to our dismay there are heaps of sunnys running around NZ.

Sunny got us (with the help of Rachel) to Cardrona Ski Field in Wanaka -about an hours drive from Q-tip. i mean queenstown. Here, we were met with windy and cold, cloudy conditions. BUT it was an experience skiing in NZ! Who else can say they skiied in both hemispheres. thats a choice event. A little bit before lunch break the skies cleared up and we got some sunny skiing in before meeting up at the lodge with some other australearners for some lunch and hot chocolate. Yum!

After a full day of skiing and freezing my you know what off i was ready to go into town and find a hostel. We met up with some friends at the Purple Cow hostel- equipped with a fireplace and a gorgeous view of Lake Wanaka and the snowy mtns. We settled in for a rather
Lunch Break at the Ski LodgeLunch Break at the Ski LodgeLunch Break at the Ski Lodge

Cardrona Ski Field NZ
strange nights sleep (we all had to be split up into different rooms with some interesting foreigners...who snored). Next day we woke up ready for a drive to Fox Glacier.

We drove for a good 5 hours making very scenic stops and long breaks to take photos. Along the way we drove through mountains, hiked a rainforest track to a river, passed through waterfalls, and visited beaches along the Tasman Sea. Simply a lucious drive.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

couple of ski monsterscouple of ski monsters
couple of ski monsters

lauren and I love skiing!
AustralearnersAustralearners
Australearners

Jenn(CA), rachel (ND, and Nebraska), lauren(Wisconsin), me, and natalie (Co, and Minnesota) - at cardrona. we cover the almost the entire US!


29th August 2005

Gorgeous Vistas!

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb