Fox Glacier Hiking! What's Cooler than being cool?


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » West Coast » Fox Glacier
August 22nd 2005
Published: October 5th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Fox Glacier HikeFox Glacier HikeFox Glacier Hike

See the difference in weather?
...

ICE COLD



Seeing as I am from hot and humid South East Florida, I just had to see a 'real live' glacier while in NZ.
From Wanaka we drove Sunny to the small township of Fox Glacier. Along the way we stopped in Mt. Aspiring National Park, and in the pouring rain, hiked a short rainforest walk to the Blue Springs Pools. unlucky for us, the 'blue pools' were nothing but green pools because of all the rain pouring down. Still, the walk was peaceful, we could hear all the different types of NZ native birds and the river running by. We trekked over another swing bridge to reach the riverbanks, and we walked away with some great river rocks (maybe even some jade?) and some good memories of our rainy hike.

After the hike we were back on the road. Once we were out of the Mountains, we reached the Tasman Sea, on the west coast of NZ. In the pouring rain we walked along the tasman beach at Ship's Creek, a spot of a shipwreck years ago. We continued the drive and after some scenic photo ops we made our way to Fox Glacier. After some problems
Fox Glacier seen at a distanceFox Glacier seen at a distanceFox Glacier seen at a distance

The day AFTER we hiked Fox-as seen from a lookout point near lake Matheson.
finding somewhere to stay within our budget we decided to stay at the Ivory Towers youth hostel. The log fire and movie room appealed to us, since it was such a cold rainy night. The next morning we woke up early and ready to Hike the Fox Glacier. We were dissappointed that it was pouring rain and cold as all get out, but we still decided to hike. The guides at Fox Adventure post were more than helpful with our raincoats and rain pants, but I still got soaked. After a short bus ride to the Fox Glacier base we hiked about 1.5 hours uphill to the ice terminal (the start of the glacier). We were advised to move quickly because several ppl have died while stopping to take photos there. Apparently the ice and rocks fall quite frequently, and we found that out a little later on...

We finally reached the top of the glacier and with ice sitcks in hand we maneuvered our way through the ice walls to the peak of our hike. Sadly the view was qyute foggy but I still could see how beautiful the glacier country was.the rain made some nice waterfalls throughout the scenery and the ice was SO blue! I couldnt believe that i was standing on layers of ancient ice and water. just crazy. Unfortunately our visit to the top was cut short because of rockfall. we were told to hurry down the ice to the base (a very steep and wet and slippery run down) because rocks (more like huge massive boulders that will crush your body) were sliding all over because of rain fall. AGH! So I made my way down with one hand on my head (like that would protect me,really....) and one hand breaking my fall while i slid down the trail. We finally made it down safely and rachel and lauren and I decided to add it to our list of crazy adventure stories.

Upon returning to the adventure post, I was happily surprised with a 'Certificate of Acheivement"- I, Shelly jackson, hiked the Fox Glacier and survived in NZ. My life is now complete!!

that night, we settled in by the fire and talked to some passing travelers. then we started a movie marathon of the Lord of the rings triology int he movie room, since rachel had never seen them. we
Fox Glacier Hike 2Fox Glacier Hike 2Fox Glacier Hike 2

One of the Crevices we hiked through. Not reccommended for ppl who suffer from claustrophobia.
lasted through the 2nd one, and then fell asleep. we tire easily these days because we are just so darn adventurous by day, and sleepy by night. i havent figured out how james bond and indiana jones do it!

till next time friends, cheers shelly


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Fox GlacierFox Glacier
Fox Glacier

At times nz has very unreal and quite freaky landscape.
Wet and Soggy ShellyWet and Soggy Shelly
Wet and Soggy Shelly

but im still smiling!
At the peak of our HikeAt the peak of our Hike
At the peak of our Hike

By this point, as you can see on my face, im ready to go down and warm up. defrost rather.
Shelly @ Knight's PointShelly @ Knight's Point
Shelly @ Knight's Point

Unruly West Coast of NZ


29th August 2005

Cooler than Cool!
WOW Shell, you keep amazing me with your "let's see you top this!" activities! Looks like you've gone back in time with your glacier trek...rock falls and all! Gosh, am I ever glad I didn't know those little details (i.e. life-threatening boulders chasing you down the thing!) until AFTER you had done it! You know you're beginning to look a lot like a National Geographic adventurer these days...is that what it seems like to you? I'm so proud of you, sweetie! But please remember to BE CAREFUL!! Your mother thanks you. SWAK!

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0502s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb