Hurunui High Country Track, Day 2


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Canterbury
November 20th 2011
Published: November 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Bush HutBush HutBush Hut

Bush Hut built of red beech logs
From the Valley Camp we walked back to the Cricket Pitch and climbed up the hill and along the old pack track to the fencer's camp in Shingley Creek. The pack track was used for carting fencing gear and mustering in this part of the station. Along the track was an old snow fence built in the the 1930's to stop the sheep getting too high in the mountains. It remains in remarkably good order and not as rusty as one might expect. From the highest part of the ups and downs of this part of the track we eventually wound our way down and around a valley and onto our destination of the Bush Hut just over 8 kilometres from our start. Parts of the track are fairly slushy after rain so it pays to go prepared for all weathers and all underfoot conditions.

The Bush Hut is built of red beech logs, logged in the 1930's. It is a typical log cabin with daubed walls and a large iron chimney. We had a separate kitchen and covered BBQ area with netting available against some very persistant sandflies. The hut had many bunks, a fire and a large table.
Sleeping tent at Bush HutSleeping tent at Bush HutSleeping tent at Bush Hut

Three tents are available for those who prefer a tent rather than the hut bunks. Very comfortable with beds and table plus an outside awning
Outside was a quaint shower down amongst the bush, an outside toilet and 3 semi permanent tents set up on platforms with awnings. Each tent had two beds and a side table and reminded me of the setups of some safaris in Africa. They were very comfortable indeed and would have been perfect but for the fact it rained and blew during the night dumping water off the awnings from time to time with a large splosh! In the meantime, Joce, who had opted to stay in the hut was scared witless by stories of rats and mice - but lived to tell the tale of not even a small scratching noise was heard in the night.

Our dinner consisted of a gourme rice risotto with frankfurters, chilli, and many vegetables. This was followed by peaches and pineapple, meringues, chocolate mousse with a fruit sauce topping. Add to this Joc's continuing supply of lamingtons and a large chocolate block, we weren't going to starve. Off course, there was also the wine supply.

The obligatory game of Uno followed with Karilyn now resigned to enjoying herself. We found we had well behaved losers despite the nasty tactics often carried
Dinner at Bush HutDinner at Bush HutDinner at Bush Hut

A gourmet dinner indeed at Bush Hut
out.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

A shower in the bushesA shower in the bushes
A shower in the bushes

The quirky, spacious, and hot shower amongst the bushes.
What is she doing?What is she doing?
What is she doing?

A fallen tree to negotiate


Tot: 0.364s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 58; dbt: 0.153s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb