Glowworm cave to Bluff


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Bluff
February 26th 2009
Published: March 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Te Anau, Glow worm cave and Bluff
Feb 26th, 2009
Our last day on the south shore of the south island of the NZ started with a warm meat pie, the best ever in downtown Te Anau. We then boarded a boat on Lake Te Anau to the caves( I don’t like enclosed places). There, holding Terry’s hand I was treated to a new experience. We liked the blue grotto in Capri, this was different but wow! The well organized touring group in NZ has built up the tunnels to the inner cave and with knowledgeable guides the whirlpool, waterfalls and rock walls were exquisite. At the end of which we boarded a rowboat for 12 and were quietly pulled through a very dark cave with a dotted glowing roof which is the home of the larvae stage of metamorphosis of these worms; in this stage, they switch on lights to attract food. We attended a lecture on the life cycle of the glowworm and headed back, 2 ½ hour great value tour.
We then headed for the town of Bluff, at the south tip of the south island to catch the ferry to Stewart island. Lovely scenery, the treat for me is sheep on both side of the road, also cows, no pigs and few chickens.
We arrived in Bluff with enough time to tour the town of the famous Bluff oysters- not in season! Starts March first. We saw the beginning of the anchor chain: In Maori legend, the south island is the canoe of the fisher man, the north island the fish he caught and the third island, Stewart Island, the anchor. The residents have installed an anchor chain at Bluff and one on the island. Nice touch. We also saw an ligh house, a sign post, we are 20, 000 km from home and the lookout at the top of the biggest hill with a 360 degree view, also very nice. Off to Oban, Stewart Island.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0634s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb