Akaroa {Cath}


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Akaroa
June 30th 2009
Published: May 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

In one of our first weekends of being in NZ, David and Eriko decided that a trip to the small town of Akaroa would be a great introduction to some of the New Zealand heritage. Situated in the eastern bank of the Akaroa harbour in the Banks peninsular.

The harbour is surrounded by mountains and pebbled beaches lined the waters edge. The water is serene as tall masted yachts gently ease into their resting bays. The town itself is beautiful with small French-styled houses, cafes and B&B's lined up along the narrow roads. As you walk along the road away from the town towards the lighthouse, civilization is quietened down and replaced by thick bush along the bank. Unfortunately you can't go inside the lighthouse, but the walk there and the view is beautiful and definitely worth the effort. Besides the fact, it certainly works up and appetite, and what better to satisfy it with than some of the best fish and chips from the local fish shop.

We've been to Akaroa a few times since the first time Dave and Eriko took us, and it is still one of our favourite places.

One of the highlights was seeing some Hector's Dolphins playing under the jetty! It was the first time that Eriko had seen dolphins that weren't in captivity making it all the more special.

Another of Akaroa's specialties is the fruit ice cream, made with real fruit pieces! A good treat when you're heading back to the car with only just enough space left in the tummy after the fish and chips.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0568s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb