Day # 48-50


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island
July 28th 2015
Published: July 28th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Off to Kaitaia this morning to re fuel and re stock with supplies. The rain is falling so after stopping for coffee we opt to do a bit of tiki touring rather than sit around. Heading north we visited Kaimaumau Recreation reserve. Kaimaumau is a small settlement on the edge of the Rangaunu Harbour. If the weather was fine we probably could see across the Harbour to Karikari Peninsula, but not today. Further North is Houhora Heads. Pretty spot with a camping ground on the waterfront. We watched a large commercial fishing boat meander up the harbour with no doubt a good catch on board as it appeared to list over slightly to starboard (or maybe an overweight skipper/crew?).



Our intention was to head maybe to Pukenui for the night but after a slight detour down a forestry road we found heaven. Hukatere is that place. Hukatere is about a third of the way up 90 Mile Beach. With the exception of 3 houses + Hukatere lodge, there is nobody for miles, it’s rugged, and it’s very beautiful. The owner of the Hukatere Lodge & Camping is Gabi. Gabi is a lovely German lady who has been here for 20+ years. Gabi lives here all on her own with her 2 dogs, she reckons she is a nutter, I would say she is quirky (believe me I have met some nutters in my time and she definitely isn’t oneJ). Gabi over the years has added basic little buildings including shower, cabins, kitchen, and she has also moved an old nursing home aptly named the Lodge. The Lodge is rented out to big groups (weddings, family gatherings, NZ horse trekking groups etc).



Day # 49 - Today we collected Tuatua’s at low tide, so I spent the afternoon steaming them open. Yum…..Lance was giving me stick about how many I was eating and not getting in the bowl. Plenty for all I can assure youJ. I made a large batch of fritters for us all including Lucas a Swiss lad who is spending 6 months travelling around NZ in his van. He had tea organised (a pot full of beetroot?) so was quite delighted with the fritters. Another couple in a campervan arrived later in the afternoon (also from Switzerland), so it was a good excuse to have a few beers and a bit of a social gathering around the kitchen table.



Day # 50 (can’t believe it 50 days on the road and we are still not at Cape Reinga…….sweetJ). Up early this morning to enjoy the beach while the sky was clear. I headed down with camera in hand, while Lance went for a run. I love this placeJ. But sadly it is time to move on. Well if you can call it that (14kms) to next destination….Pukenui. Now camped down at the local Pukenui Motor Camp. Have been for a quick walk down to the wharf between showers, and now off to Happy Hour with the campers lol.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0182s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb