Puhoi River


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island
February 8th 2013
Published: February 10th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Had a smash about on a badminton court this morning which was a good laugh. Ended up a sweaty mess but think I won, Just!

Went to the Puhoi Canoe Centre from which we were taken to Wnederholm Regional Park on the coast to start a kyack trip back inland along the River Puhoi on the incoming tide. The business owner was a good bloke and typically laid back, Kiwi style. He didn't bat an eyelid when Mick asked if all the motors were full of petrol, just said "yeah" and carried on with his business.

There was only one other bloke on this trip and he seemed a good fella, Martin. He's an expat and when asked if he would ever return to the UK said he'd been thinking that about that question for the last thirty eight years! Obviously quite happy here.

We set off paddling across the mouth he the estuary to a batch on the other side. (holiday home - wooden in this case) Had a nosey about here, fantastic views across to Auckalnd and into the mouth of the estuary.

Yet again not a cloud in the sky, absolutely scorching on the water. You can get up really close to the indigenous bird life along the banks, and explore tiny tributaries into salt marsh that occur randomly along the course of the river.

It was a peaceful no dramas trip other than when Sarah called to say there were two Orcas in the bay down the coast heading our way. To which Mick advised "Keep out of deep water." Tongue in cheek I hoped.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0244s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb