River Valley


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island
April 19th 2011
Published: April 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The final days in Raglan were absolutely beautiful. We spent the days down at the beach and continued the surfing adventure. I finally rode my first wave and it was amazing definitely worth being tossed around by the Tasman Sea. We switched hostels and moved up further into the mountains near Manu Bay for the last two nights. (Manu Bay is where the experienced surfers ride the waves – so we just watched from the top of the hill) This hostel was made up of old train carriages and the bunk beds were inside the cabooses. The main kitchen and lounge area was made to look like a train station. The pictures don’t really do it justice but just try to picture the most beautiful mountain overlooking the Tasman Sea beach at sunset… unreal!
We returned to Taupo the next day and of coarse we had to schedule our buses around the first Habs playoff game. When we finally arrived in Taupo we went out to a bar with live music and danced the night away .We also ran into some friends from Raglan which is always fun to meet up with old travel buddies. The band did a cover of “don’t speak no Americano” and some serious funk music.
Back on the Kiwi bus the next day and headed to River Valley Adventure Lodge. The lodge was in the middle of nowhere and the name describes it perfectly. The Lodge was in a valley and a river flowed through it. The bus group all had a big bbq together (lamb burgers) which was a nice chance to get to know one another. I did a great hike up the mountain to snap a few photos but I don’t recommend doing this hike in jandals. Bus left again two days ago for Wellington. Off again tomorrow across the Cook Straight to explore the South Island a little more.



Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



19th April 2011

Wow
Nice views
25th April 2011

wow
photos are amazing and I am so jealous. But did Jonathan REALLY dance the night away??? mara
26th April 2011

Jonathan Dancing
Hi Mara- I am so glad your enjoying the blogs. Jonathan did dance the night away I think he out danced me that night.

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb