Tongariro Crossing


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island
February 9th 2011
Published: February 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

So it"s my turn to write again!
The plan when were at Taupo was to stay a day and then to move to Tongariro Crossing, however like most of my planning this was not to be. We as usual when reaching a new venue spent some time at the I site, (information centre) and it was there that we read a notice notifying us that the crossing was closed due to further land slips.
This was perhaps a blessing in disguise and as we both liked the atmosphere in Taupo we decided to stay an extra day. Leaving Taupo we decided to travel down highway one taking in some of the sights of the national park but the clouds were so low on the day the mountains and much of the vista was shrouded in low cloud, so undetered we set of across a scenic route to Napier. The route was absolutely spectacular with moutains and valley so beautiful it is too difficult to describe them and do them justice.The undulating route was not without some frought times for me as it involved narrow mountain roads and part of the route on unsealed roads. ( roads with no tarmac). However I would not of missed it for the world with vast stretches without and passing cars for miles and miles.

Napier, the art deco city of New Zealand.
For those who did or do not know Napier suffered and earthquake in 1931 resulting in the destruction of most of the buildings. The reconstruction style of the day was the art deco style. It is also within the Hawks Bay famous wine growing region.There see education and not just a dull read.
John and I both liked Napier and should of stayed a day longer as our trip to Hastings will clarify later. The town is busy and is a place where large cruise ships dock. It also has nice restaurants and bars and those of you who know how much I like my food will appeciate why i loved this place



Advertisement



Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0261s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb