Shirley's stroll to see Hukka Falls


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Taupo
February 7th 2011
Published: February 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Whilst in Taupo we decided it would be a great idea to take a trek along one of the recommended trails to see the Huka falls. This is stated as a 50 minute trek along an undulating trail along the Waikato river side and through typical New Zealand forestry. It has to be said it was really scenic and a great pathway. The Huka falls were also spectacular with the wide river being chanelled through a narrow gorge. Having enjoyed this so much my great leader and guide suggested quite firmly that we should continue to the Aratiatia Dam which was a further two hours ahead again through similar grounds. Now, every two hours the dam is opened for ten minutes creating a vast swaythe of water to rush through creating rapids and white water. The guide book states it is really worth the visit.
On we went at Shirley pace determined that we would make the time and not miss the next opening of the dam. We made the two hour jouney in one and a half hours. Great lets wait for the opening and grab a coffee whilst we wait thought I. The lady at the coffee stall was very helpful and pointed out that the dam was continually open due to the same recent storm which had prevented us travelling to the Cormondel Peninsular earlier in our trip. Bloody marvelous thought I. Ah well back we go, this time enjoying the scenery a little more.

Overall, a great days walking with sore feet. What a pleasure to return to our motel and take our boots off. The journey had been in the order of 14 miles and taken some six hours through such beautiful countryside it has to be one of the highlights of our trip so far.

The following day we set off for Napier, along a scenic route with unmade roads. Shirley will add some details of that some time later.l

Advertisement



8th February 2011

Glad to see some pictures up at last - means we can fully enjoy the places you have been.
8th February 2011

N Z
N Z looks fab, didnt know you were walking the whole of it !! You'll be like stick insects when you get back! Enjoying your pics,love Kath x
8th February 2011

N Z
N Z looks fab, didnt know you were walking the whole of it !! You'll be like stick insects when you get back! Enjoying your pics,love Kath x
12th February 2011

Don't know about stick people, more like a roly poly with all the food we are eating, and not forgetting the wine we are drinking.....I blame the New Zealanders for being so good at food and wine...

Tot: 0.16s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0538s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb