Ahipara and blokarting (land yachting)


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island
December 19th 2009
Published: September 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We've had a day of nice weather. This morning we continued heading up and over to the west coast. We stopped off at the Haruru waterfall, which was pretty cool. You could walk around on some rocks on the top of it. It wasn't very tall, but was pretty wide. Afterward we stopped off in Kaitaia and asked about blokarting in Ahipara, and they told us to go visit the place at 4pm to see if the wind and tides were right.
We drove up the Karikari peninsula and stopped off at a nice beach for lunch...and a quick nap! It was very nice and a definite plus to having your bed with you. We then headed to Ahipara and went to the beach there. It was huge, but really beautiful. We walked around for a bit and read our books (enjoying the nice weather), then went to the adventure center at 4pm. We then met the guy with the blokarts at the beach and we were off! They are a 3-wheeled contraption with a handlebar for steering and a big windsail attached. You get a rope to control how tight or loose you want the sail. The wind was going pretty good and in one direction we got going really fast. The other way was slower. We rented them for an hour (I think we got to go a bit longer though!). After getting used to it, Adam decided to try and get it up on 2 wheels. His first attempt went very well....until he fell over! He banged his shin and got all sandy, but was otherwise fine. It all happened in slow motion, but it's good he was fine. After that though he was able to get up on 2 wheels a lot. I got up on 2 wheels pretty good one time when I was making a tight turn. The karts were great. We did the karting on 90 mile beach (which is only 60 some odd miles in reality) but it was really long and flat, and the tide was down so we had a lot of space to go. We both really had a great time, and are ready to get one at home!
Tonight we are staying in Ahipara, and then tomorrow going to head up to the tip of New Zealand. Our last big adventure before heading back to Auckland. We booked a place to stay in central Auckland that is a hotel that is made up of apartments, so we're pretty happy we can still cook our own food....and that we got the room for super cheap (an Orbitz promotion plus coupon code we found!). We also have another van viewing set up for Tuesday morning with a woman who seems pretty interested.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Blowkarting on ninety mile beachBlowkarting on ninety mile beach
Blowkarting on ninety mile beach

I wave hello in passing.
BlokartingBlokarting
Blokarting

Adam waves hi.
BlokartingBlokarting
Blokarting

Adam gets on two wheels
BlokartingBlokarting
Blokarting

Pop-a-wheelie.


Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0661s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb